Effective September 12, 2019
The Alpheios Project, Ltd. ("us", "we", or "our") operates the https://alpheios.net website and the Alpheios tools and services (the "Tools and Services").
This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of data when you use our Tools and Services.
Information Collection And Use
Alpheios User Account
If you create an Alpheios user account with an email address, we collect just that email address. If you create an Alpheios user account with a Google Sign-In, we collect the email address and the name you make available on your Google profile. We do not sell or rent this information and use it only to identify who you are logged in as in the interface. We may also send mail to the email address from time to time to notify you of important changes to the Alpheios software.
We use the following third-party Service Providers for services related to Alpheios user account data:
Auth0 provides provides a universal authentication & authorization platform for web, mobile and legacy applications.
We use Auth0 to manage and store Alpheios user account profile data, including your email address and profile name. If you create an Alpheios user account with an email address, Auth0 also stores and manages the password you create for that account. If you create an account with a Google sign-in, Auth0 does not have access to or store your Google account password.
VerticalResponse provides software for sending email marketing, online surveys and direct mail for direct marketing campaigns. We may use Vertical Response from time to time to send you email notifications about the Alpheios software releases.
Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides cloud computing services. Cloud computing is the on-demand delivery of compute power, database, storage, applications, and other IT resources via the internet.
We use AWS to store your personal Alpheios word list and your Alpheios application preferences. This data is stored on AWS with only an opaque identifier associating it with your Alpheios user account. Your email address and profile name are not stored with and cannot be accessed from your wordlist and application preferences on AWS.
For more information on the legal and privacy practices of AWS please visit the AWS legal information page: https://aws.amazon.com/legal.
You may request the removal of your Alpheios User Account, and any data associated with it, at any time by emailing us at email@example.com
Alpheios Browser Extension Permissions
The Alpheios Browser Extensions request limited permissions from the browser as follows:
- Alpheios accesses browser activity during navigation only to control its own state as you navigate between pages. For example, we use this feature to be able to keep Alpheios in the active state as you move from page to page. Without this, you would have to re-enable Alpheios each time you load a new page in your browser, making it a little less convenient to use.
- Alpheios accesses browser tabs so that it can be in a distinct state across each tab. For example, if you wanted to have Alpheios activated while reading Latin page in one tab, but disabled while reading an English page in another tab.
- Alpheios accesses data from websites you visit, but this data is limited to the actual text that is on the page and the addresses (urls) of the pages on which words you lookup are found. The text is accessed so that we can respond to a double click on a word and provide you with the analysis and dictionary entries for that word. The address (url) is accessed by the new user wordlist feature so that you can return to the pages in which you encountered the word to reread it in context.
- Alpheios provides cryptographic authentication services so that you can login securely into your Alpheios user account
- Alpheios accesses your browser's data storage so that it can cache a local copy of your wordlist and user settings for optimized performance.
For more information on browser extensions and their permissions see the following links:
Alpheios Mobile Reader and Website Cookies
We may collect information that your browser sends whenever you access the Tools and Services through a browser or through a mobile device ("Usage Data").
This Usage Data may include information such as your computer's Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Services that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
When you access the Tools and Services by or through a mobile device, this Usage Data may include information such as the type of mobile device you use, your mobile device unique ID, the IP address of your mobile device, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser you use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
The Alpheios Project, Ltd. uses the collected data for various purposes:
- To provide and maintain the Service
- To provide customer care and support
- To provide analysis or valuable information so that we can improve the Service
- To monitor the usage of the Service
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues
We may use third-party Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Tools and Services.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en
Links To Other Sites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By visiting this page on our website: https://alpheios.net/pages/privacy-policy